The ability to communicate effectively is a skill vital in all workplaces. In this enjoyable hands-on workshop, develop the skills necessary to communicate clearly in face to face situations and produce effective written documents including; letters, reports and e-mail. Through discussion, exercises and constructive feedback gain the skills to express yourself confidently in all business situations. Learn how to use these elements as an intentional and conscious tool in order to achieve a positive first impression in every social and business situation. Etiquette means ‘conventional rules of polite behaviour’. Wherever you work there will be other people inside and outside your organisation to deal with and it is crucial to communicate with them well. A key part of this is to show your respect in the appropriate way, and conform to the largely unwritten guidelines on behaviour. Business etiquette covers a very wide range of things:
• How you behave as an individual
• How you make use of the communication tools available
• How you act in the team and company that you work in
• How you deal with external business contacts. “Integrate your verbal and non-verbal communication to get the point across clearly, accurately and effectively. Avoid miscommunication, poor exchange of information & friction, due to inconsistencies between verbal expression and body language”
Written Business Communications
• Reduce reader time by 50% and writer time by 25% by employing proper organizing strategies.
• Know the steps for planning and organizing thoughts and ideas.
• Recognize unnecessary and confusing words and phrases and eliminate them
• Get started writing more quickly and finish faster.
• Write more clearly with reader understanding and action as the goal.
• Be able to define the exact purpose for each piece of writing.
• Possess the skills necessary to project a competent and friendly image in letters, memos, e-mail and reports. Non-Verbal Communication
• Identify other people’s body language and know what they really mean: whatever they may be saying.
• Use body language to make you appear more confident, powerful, trusting, etc depending on what the situation may require from you. Telephone Communications • Recognize the benefits of effective telephone communication techniques.
• follow the guidelines for making a telephone call, in a given business situation.
• identify the telephone speaking guidelines, given a list.
• apply the techniques for managing telephone calls, in a given business situation. Business Greeting Etiquette
• Recognize the advantages of using proper formal business greeting etiquette.
• Business Card Etiquette
• Business Lunch Etiquette
• Meeting and Greeting Clients
• Meeting Etiquette
How to avoid conflict in the workplace Objectives The Strategic HR Workshop is designed to substantially improve your competence in all important aspects of Communication Skills & Ettquettes through relevant activities, simulations, self-assessment, discussions, feedback and systematic trainer input.
A hard- hitting, pragmatic and paricipative learner- centered approach :
• Role Plays The program would be entirely based on interactive adult learning process. Simulation and experiential learning be supplemented by concept building lectures. Reading materials and tools shall also be used to facilitate learning.
Work Shop Agenda
Session 1 Setting the stage:
• Program structure and expectations management
• Participant introductions: impact of your self introduction First impressions
• Business introductions
• Exchanging business cards – When & How
• The first impressions
• Dressing for success
• Your personality and communication style : use of psychometric instruments Understanding the communication Process
• Barriers to communication
• Verbal & Non verbal communication
• Active & reflective Listening
• Paralanguage, Body Language, Kinesics, PROXEMICS (spatial), Sociometry
• Understanding and appreciating workplace diversity
• Cross Cultural communication Session 2 Assertive communication
• How not to get into workplace conflict
• How to deal with workplace conflict Communication tactics for Negotiation
• Valuing and building rapport Workplace Etiquette : Etiquette pertaining to:
• Cyber communications
• Cell phones
• Call hold, call waiting, call transfer
• Email • Business meetings
• Cross Cultural issues Communication under Time Pressure
• Basic courtesies Time management techniques to stay focused and keeping aggressiveness or indifference in communication in check Feedback and plan of action